The Chittenden County Sheriff’s Department serves Civil, Family, Small Claims and Probate Court

paperwork including, but not limited to:

  • Divorce/Annulment paperwork
  • Child Support paperwork
  • Uniform Reciprocal Support Enforcement Act (URESA)
  • Child Custody Paperwork
  • Subpoenas
  • Landlord/Tenant Disputes
  • Evictions
  • Restraining Orders
  • Small Claims
  • Summons & Complaints
  • And numerous other Court Documents

The Chittenden County Sheriff’s office does not give out legal advice nor do we recommend attorneys.  If you need legal advice you may contact the Vermont Bar Association.

Vermont Rules of Civil Procedure requires that Sheriff’s Charge certain fees for service of Court and Other Documents. (See Table Below)

This agency requires a cover letter ( of instruction accompany all requests to serve process indicating what documents are included for service, whom the documents are to be served on, along with directions outlining where to locate the defendant. (No P.O. Boxes or RFDs).

CLICK HERE to download cover letter)

We also require a deposit of $75.00 per defendant at the time of request for service. $100.00 deposit if the service request is from out of state.  The amount of the deposit will be listed on the invoice and subtracted from the bill amount and a refund or balance due indicated. (See Table Below)


The schedule of fees is as follows:
(prices subject to change without notice)
Deposit (needed for any service request)
Deposit (for service request from out of state)
Anything pertaining to a Divorce matter $50.00
Anything Pertaining to Child Support/Custody $50.00
Restraining Orders $50.00
Civil Documents $50.00
Small Claims $50.00
Writ of Execution $50.00
Miscellaneous Letters $30.00
Mileage per mile round trip $0.51